Home[made] Comfort Food: Fire Roasted Tomato Soup

Have you ever had Paradise Bakery's Fire Roasted Tomato Soup?  It is so good!  I don't even like tomato soup either.  Campbell's tomato soup is so yucky.  But this soup is full of flavor!  Not too tomato-y and just the perfect comfort food.  Add a dollop of sour cream!


We had it tonight with grilled cheese sandwiches on homemade bread and sharp cheddar cheese. 

I found this knock-off recipe on this website.  It makes a huge batch, so I always half the recipe and we still have plenty.  And for the tomatoes, I use Hunt's canned "Fire Roasted Tomatoes" (and when I half it, I use 3 cans total).  And instead of blending the soup in a blender, I use a hand blender and just leave it in the pot, so much easier (if you don't have a hand blender, you should definitely invest in one!).  Here is the recipe:

Fire Roasted Tomato Soup
1 large onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
olive oil
2 -28 to 32 oz cans tomatoes (use ready cut to simplify)
1 -32 oz bottle fire roasted tomatoes (or sun-dried tomatoes)
2 -8 oz cans tomato sauce
2 -6 oz cans tomato paste
8 cups water (add 8-10 bouillon cubes)
2 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
2 cups milk or cream

- In a large soup kettle, saute onion in olive oil until almost translucent
- Add garlic and continue to saute a few minutes more
- Add tomatoes, sauce, and paste—along with water
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes
- Puree in blender until desired consistency (use hand blender)
- Add milk/cream and seasonings and continue to simmer for another 5-10 min

2 comments:

  1. that's funny. we had homemade T. soup and grilled cheese too. have u ever tried freezing this recipe??? i tried freezing a tiny portion from last time, but can't remember if it turned out okay when it defrosted...i am collecting freezer friendly foods since I LOVE homemade foods, but don't have the time to be cooking each time with kids :) Let me know if you ever try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. it's so crazy to me that you're so grown up now and cooking!! lol I just remember you as a tiny cute girl! :)

    ReplyDelete